Follow By Email:

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Butter Horns

The originally named "12 Hour Butter Horns" have successfully turned into "2 Hour Butter Horns"!

These delicious rolls are a Bedford tradition and are found at any major holiday party.  The original recipe takes 12 hours....so how did I subtract 10 hours off that time??  Complete accident.  

A few months ago I was buying yeast and my amateur self just bought a jar of yeast that looked like the one I had previously had.  Little did I know there is actually more than one kind of yeast.  I had always used active dry yeast and found myself with a whole jar of bread machine yeast (aka Rapid Rise yeast).  I couldn't bring myself to waste it since yeast as we know is not cheap.  So I googled how to use rapid rise yeast in place of active dry.  My first few attempts were not super successful...but I have come to LOVE RAPID RISE YEAST! Who knew that we don't have to waste time proofing the yeast or letting it rise once before you shape your bread??  Now you can have delicious dinner rolls in less than 2 hours! 


ORIGINAL RECIPE IS AS FOLLOWS...

INGREDIENTS:
1 envelope yeast (1Tbsp)
1 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted margarine
3 eggs, well whipped with fork
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups bread flour (no more)

DIRECTIONS: 
mix together, adding flour last - dough will be very sticky- allow to rise 5-6 hours or overnight (covered in greased plastic wrap).  Punch dough and split into 2 blobs. Lay lots of flour on table and roll out one blob of dough into pizza shape and cut with pizza cutter into slices (depending on how big you want rolls).  repeat with other blob.  beginning at wider end, roll up and place close to each other on pan.  cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, (5-6 hours or overnight). Bake at 375 for about 10 min.  

**Carlie's Alterations**
  • I don't like my dinner rolls tasting like doughnuts (that's what Kade said they tasted like) so I only put in about 1/3 cup sugar.  
  • If you use rapid rise yeast-- in kitchen aid combine water, sugar, margarine, eggs, salt.  In another bowl combine yeast and flour and mix well.  mix in flour and yeast mixture in with other ingredients, little at time.  
  • 4 cups of bread flour is NOT ENOUGH!  Who wants to mess around with sticky dough??  Nobody.  So add more flour!  I add as much flour as it takes to make the dough workable.  
  • Also, I ran out of bread flour last time, after the 4 cups and ended up adding about a cup of regular flour and it didn't change them at all.  I'm started to think bread flour is a scam.
  • Then with the magical rapid rise yeast, skip the first rising of the dough and go straight to rolling it out and shaping it.  Then place the pan in a slightly warmed oven (I turn my on for like a minute and then turn it off) and set your rolls in there to raise for about an hour or until doubled.  Then bake!  Mine only take 7 minutes so be sure to watch them.  
  • Let them cool with melted butter spread on top.  When I'm eating them plain, I spread honey on top too.  
  • DELICIOUS!!

3 comments:

  1. Well now. You are the new baker on the block. Way to go on finding out some new baking tricks. What is the deal with bread flour anyway?
    Rapid Rise yeast does sounds magical. After I finished using my costco yeast (which will be in about 4 years) I'll have to give it a try. FYI If you put yeast in the freezer it lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlie, you are my hero. Making bread overwhelms me, so I still haven't tried it. For now on I will refer to you as the Bread Sensei.

    p.s. I really want to make these. I am inspired. Your mission is accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome! Good job.
    aunt Leah

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.