Follow By Email:

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

What is a butternut squash and why would I buy it?

What: Some vegetable that looks like this...

Why:  My sister-in-law Stefanie introduced me to the "Bountiful Basket" where I get a random assortment of fruits and veggies every other week for super cheap.  It's a great way to get a variety of healthy food and save a ton of money!  And that's how you end up with random vegetables like butternut squash.

So who else to call upon when you have a random vegetable than ALLRECIPES.COM  ??

Things I like about Butternut Squash Soup:
-Flavor
-Texture
-Pretty easy to make
-Healthy
-Cheap
-Something different to try

Things I don't like about Butternut Squash Soup:
-Idea of eating straight squash
-Takes at least an hour
-Can't use it as a main course because the flavor gets old

I decided I'm just going to start posting the link to where I find the recipe, instead of posting it here.  I'll just note what changes I personally made.

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Carlie's Alterations:


-Halved the recipe (only used one squash)

-Quartered the squash, spread a little olive oil on each quarter along with salt and pepper, and baked in over at 375 for 40 min. to soften it up

-After it was soft I took the peals off and put it in the blender with everything else (I still sauteed the onions)



It was really good & a sneaky way to get your husband to eat veggies =)  

If you like your soup...soupier than just add a little milk or chicken broth.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. If I could find butternut squash in Guam, I would totally make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, ask and you shall receive...I found butternut squash today. I'll be making this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweetness. I'm excited for your Bountiful Basket adventures and for your yummy soup

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.