Follow By Email:

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Granola/Trail Mix

I love to snack.
This may not be the healthiest snack, but it's a good alternative to chips or cookies for sure.  Shout out goes to my friend Carly Miller who introduced it to me over the summer...and I will admit I liked hers better.  It was my first try making granola though, so I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt and will try again soon. For the present time, I'm pretty stocked on granola.

I just threw in what I had around the house, and left out the coconut & wheat germ because I didn't have any on hand.  In my batch I put in almonds and craisens and I also threw in plain popcorn because I had just popped some and it surprisingly a good addition and not even soggy.  I also had to double the sauce to make it all stick together.  Another change I made was to use olive oil instead of vegetable oil because it's better for you and it didn't affect the flavor at all.



Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup nuts i.e. sunflower seeds, walnuts( I like almonds)
1 cup dried fruit, any kind(I like unsweetend pineapple, apricots...)

Mix all of the above in a large bowl.

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup honey
2 t. vanilla

Heat oil and honey to a rolling boil. Turn off heat and add vanilla. Pour over granola mixture and blend well. Spread on a baking sheet.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, stirring the granola every 5 minutes while baking to ensure even browning. Watch it closely as it can burn fast. For softer granola do not bake as long. This is a great basic recipe add or subtract ingredients according to your taste. You can use less sugar if you like, increase the amount of wheat germ, add flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, raisins, it's perfect for experimenting.


1 comment:

  1. Carlie Ann, you are a genius. I hope I get to make all of these recipes and read all of these books someday. Thanks for putting them on here so I don't forget. Love.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.