Follow By Email:

Monday, October 11, 2010

Acorn Squash Bread

**This tastes exactly like pumpkin bread**

First, sorry that I haven't posted in a few weeks...I got a new job and it sucked up a lot of the free time I used to cook and read.  I've gotten used to my new schedule though and still have a refrigerator full of random fruits and vegetables that I don't want to go to waste, so no fear... I'm back with an awesome recipe!

My bountiful basket gave me 2 acorn squashes...which I had never seen or eaten before.  I thought I was doomed to make more squash soup or just cook it and eat it with brown sugar or something, but my sister in law, Stefanie, recommended making bread (like pumpkin bread) and I'm glad she did because it was very successful!

First...what does an acorn squash look like?

How to puree the squash...
1. Cut in in half vertically
2. Take out all the seeds
3. Lay the open side face down on a cookie sheet and then add a half inch of water to the cookie sheet
4. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes
5. Take out and empty off water
6. Turn over (open face up) and bake for another 5-10 minutes until soft
7. Let cool
8. Blend in blender (or food processor)

That's it!  Now you have acorn squash puree :)  you can do this same process with any squash...like your Halloween pumpkin



Next you use your favorite pumpkin bread recipe.  I got this one off allrecipes.com and made a few changes just because I didn't have everything it called for

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (I obviously used acorn squash puree)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2cup applesauce, 1/2 cup olive oil)
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 cups white sugar (I only used 2)
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 cups white flour, 1 1/2 wheat)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I didn't have any, so I just added an additional 1/2tsp cinnamon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

  • Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans. (I used 1 muffin pan, 1 mini loaf pan, 1 large loaf pan)
  2. I filled the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way and they still got this big
  3. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
  4. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.*Muffins took 20min., mini loaf took 25 min., big loaf took 35 min. SO CHECK OFTEN!
  5. Then combine 2Tbs. butter & cinnamon/sugar mixture and poke bread with toothpick or knife many times, then pour butter/cinnamon & sugar mixture over bread so it soaks in the holes...YUM!


After I pored the butter/cinnamon & sugar mixture over
(I put a baking sheet underneath the cooling rack, so I avoided the mess of the dripping butter)


YUM!
And here you have them!...acorn squash muffins, mini loaf, and big loaf deliciousness!

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow! I am amazed. These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did they taste? It looks like a way fun Autumn treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They tasted exactly like pumpkin bread...and most people I gave it to didn't even know it wasn't pumpkin. I think all squash can be used interchangeably (spelling?)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.