Follow By Email:

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dark Chocolate Cheesecake

Happy birthday Stefanie!!  This is what inspired the making of this dark chocolate cheesecake.  She is a dark chocoholic and being from Switzerland she knows her chocolate.  Rhett filled me in that she really likes Lindts chocolate...so that's just what I bought!  I'm not sure the cheesecake would have turned out so well with a lower quality chocolate, but perhaps so.

I have never made a cheesecake before and from all the posts I have read about making one, they seem kind of temperamental.  This made me a little nervous, but I figured if it didn't turn out well only a couple people would know and so I wasn't feeling any pressure.  So I gave it a shot.



On the right is the cheesecake batter.  The left is the melted chocolate and a little of the cheesecake batter.  The pie in the middle shows the second layer of batter.  You can see the darker layer around the edges where I hadn't spread it out yet.


Here is a close up so you can see the different layers (well...two of them) before I had finished spreading out the top layer.

 Don't judge my dirty stove.  But this is what it looked like when it was cooling.


 This is the top view of it after it was cooked.  


 Final stage.  To make the whipped cream...I just whipped heavy whipping cream (imagine that!) but then I added some melted chocolate/melted butter/powdered sugar mixture into the whipped cream, so that gives it the brownish color.  Then I just used my frosting kit to make it all pretty.


 I think it was the power of prayer that made it turn out so good...because honestly I think that's the only way it could have happened.  but yeah it was so so delicious!  and I don't even really like dark chocolate.  Also- the way it was supposed to look is three different colored layers...but mine seemed to blend all together. I think I made my colors too similar.  You can kind of see the darker on the bottom, but it didn't really matter.


Thankfully this turned out so well because I had no idea it was the only birthday dessert that was going to be for 15 people!!  I thought it was a small get together of like 6 of us...serious blessings from above! 

RECIPE:

Ingredients-
  • CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST (recipe follows)
  • 3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips, divided (I used Lindts chocolate bars)
Directions- 
1. Prepare CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST. Heat oven to 300° F.






2. Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in eggs, heavy cream, vanilla and salt, beating until well blended; set aside.

3. Set aside 1 tablespoon chocolate chips. Place remaining chips in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 minutes; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted when stirred.

4. Gradually blend 1-1/2 cups cheesecake batter into melted chocolate. Spread 2 cups chocolate mixture in prepared crust.

5. Blend additional 2 cups plain cheesecake batter into remaining chocolate mixture; spread 2 cups of this mixture over first layer in springform pan. I don't have one, so I used glass pie pan. Stir remaining cheesecake batter into remaining chocolate mixture; spread over second layer.

6. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is almost set. The way that I read that you know when it's done is that if you shake it, the top will move as a whole...and the center is still giggly.  The color of the top should not be shiney.  Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, immediately loosen cake from side of pan. Cool to room temperature.  *I just turned my oven off and opened it a crack and let it cool in the oven.  Cheesecake needs to change temperature slowly to cook right.  I let me stay in the over for 30 extra minutes with it turned off...then I let it cool on the counter for a least an hour or until it's entirely cooled.  Then place in refrigerator to chill overnight.  Since I didn't have a springform pan, I just left it in the pie pan, not loosening the edges from the side.



CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST: Stir together 1-1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 45 wafers, crushed), 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa; stir in 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter or margarine. Press mixture onto bottom and 1-1/2 inches up sides of 9-inch springform pan.  I needed double the butter to get my crumbs to stick together

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Carlie! Not only can you bake and read, you can use big words like "whom" and "temperamental." (Ha! I had to look up the spelling!) You rock, honey!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.