Follow By Email:

Friday, February 4, 2011

Kale Soup

Nothing pairs with the cold weather quite like a warm bowl of soup.  I had run out of most of my vegetables, except for two huge heads of purple kale...or bushels...or whatever and was determined to use them.  Annies-Eats once again came through for me with the foundation for this delicious soup!

Her recipe is for Zuppa Toscana, similar to Olive Garden's soup recipe.  I didn't have most of the ingredients and so I just winged it.  If you know me, I'm very hestitant about winging in the kitchen and I typically cling to my recipes for dear life. 

However, Kade and I are trying to save money and so I wasn't going to make ANOTHER grocery pit stop for pricey ingredients. 

Here is the original recipe... Zuppa Toscana

Here is mine...

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 half of an onion, chopped (I had half white onion, half shallot)
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 cup chicken broth to deglaze pan
3-5 dashes cayenne pepper (depending on how spicey you like it)
1 cup potato flakes (to make istant mashed potatoes...someone gave us a big box of it) 
*I just kept adding the potato flakes until I liked the consistancy of the soup
3 cups fresh purple kale
3 cups chicken broth
2.5 half cups water
1 cup heavy cream (I used this substitute)
salt and pepper

Directions:
Place a large stockpot or Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat.  Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion to the pan and saut√© until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the garlic and cayenne to the pan and cook for a minute more, just until fragrant.  Add the 1/2 cup chicken broth to the pot and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits.  Add the potatoes, kale, chicken broth and water to the pot.  Increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer on medium-low.  Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.  Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Let cool.  Blend until desired consistancy.  Serve =)


It looks kinda weird, but Kade and I couldn't get enough.  The little spice and the creamy texture was the perfect combination.  It's really easy to use the main parts of the recipe and just add what you have, which is ideal when you don't want to run to the store. 
 Turned out sooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.