- 2 Tbsp. dry yeast
- 5 cups warm tap water
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2/3 cup honey or sugar
- 4 cups oats
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 6 cups white bread flour
- ¾ cup powdered milk
*can omit and use scalded (barely boiling) milk for water, let cool to luke warm before adding yeast.
- In large bowl combine yeast, water, honey, and oil. Let stand 5 min.
- Measure in 4 cups oats, 2 cups wheat, 2 cups white, salt, and milk.
- Mix with bread mixer until blended
- Add remaining flour. (add white flour as necessary to get dough to not stick to sides)
- Knead for 6 minutes until consistency of cookie dough.
- Put in oiled bowl and let rise until double.
- Grease hands, knead down and shape into 4 loaves.
- Place in 8½ x4 greased pans
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise until 1”-2” above pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, darker than golden brown.
- Brush tops with butter, lay on side to cool.
**I usually HALF the recipe because it makes like 4 loaves I think and we never eat that many. I usually break it down into one big loaf and two mini loaves.
**Also you can make it mostly wheat and it's still good. I haven't tried all wheat flour yet though- might be too dense and not as soft. Good luck!
**I don't use active dry yeast, I use instant yeast so I don't "let stand 5 min" in the beginning and I add my yeast to the dry ingredients instead of the wet. Along with this, I only let it rise once...I skip the first rise because it's instant yeast. Easy!