Follow By Email:

Monday, April 4, 2011

Coconut Milk

If you are needing a little "women power" boost or if you're a guy and just needing to feel manly...make coconut milk.  This task had me hammering, yelling, banging, scraping, blending, squishing, and finally smiling.  At the end I just looked at Kade and flexed my muscles. 

Making coconut milk from a coconut is a project, but very very rewarding.  I got my coconut from my bountiful basket, as usual, and didn't want to let it go to waste. 

Here are the steps I took:

To open the actual coconut, I pretty much followed the steps listed on this website (except I didn't cover it with a towel and bash away.  I hammered on the line that goes horizontal (if the "eyes" are on the top). 

Pealing away the meat was hard for me because my coconut was a little older, but usually if it's ripe it will be softer and will peal away better.  You can just use a spoon to scoop it out.


 To make the coconut milk, I put all the white pieces of coconut in the blender along with the coconut water and a little extra water to make it blendable. 
Then since I didn't have a fine strainer, I used paper towels.  I covered the blender with the paper towels and poored it over and let it drip into my bowl.


I ended up with about 5 paper towels full of coconut shavings.



 The end result is deliciously creamy coconut milk!  It is so rewarding to know that I made that from a coconut =)  I am planning on using it to make coconut rice.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero! Come to Guam...plenty of coconuts to bust open.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.