Follow By Email:

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Black Bean & Couscous Salad

Months ago I convinced myself to branch out and buy some couscous...and then it sat in my cupboard until recently when I needed to make something quick and didn't have time to go to the store.  I searched my cupboards and found the couscous hiding in the back all neglected and unappreciated.  I decided to give it a try and turned to my trusty allrecipes.com for help.  Like always I was able to find a highly rated recipe that was simple and used ingredients I happened to already have.

It was actually good!  I would recommend doubling the sauce (but not the oil) because it was a little bland and I ended up having to add some seasonings to give it some flavor.

I will be making this recipe again for sure.  Kade, who doesn't like to branch out in the grain department, even liked it.  The best part is that it's healthy and adds a little variety to the weekly meal plan.  The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether or not to serve it hot or cold.  So we ate it at room temperature =)

*Clearly you can tell I didn't use any green onions or cilantro, but that's only because I didn't have any.  Would have definitely added to the flavor. 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup uncooked couscous
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 8 green onions, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained & RINSED
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 2 quart or larger sauce pan and stir in the couscous. Cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin. Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn and beans and toss to coat.
  3. Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.